Chinese Academy of Sciences
Australian - Chinese Collaboration: International Centre for Water Science and Technology.
The Research Centre for Eco-environmental Sciences (RCEES), Chinese Academy of Sciences, was established in 1975 and is a leading institute in science and eco-environmental research and postgraduate training in the People's Republic of China.
A collaboration was initiated from the 1st Australia-China Workshop for Water Quality and Technology held in Adelaide in 2006. The workshop was a great success where researchers from both countries presented work in the areas of microbiology and biotechnology, water and wastewater treatment, water chemistry and ecology and toxicology. In November 2007, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed at the launch of the International Centre for Water Science and Technology in Beijing formalising cooperative activities.
Outputs and Outcome
An outcome of this partnership has enabled Professor Dongsheng Wang, Professor of the State Key Laboratory of Environmental Aquatic Chemistry at RCEES to visit in 2007 for three months (first researcher visit), then followed by Professor Min Yang, Director of the State Key Laboratory of Environmental Aquatic Chemistry at RCEES, to visit in 2008. Dongsheng and Min Yang worked at the AWQC with Mike Burch, Mary Drikas, Chris Chow, Andrew Humpage, Peter Hobson and other senior members of the Research Innovation and Services team.
The collaboration has been very productive and since 2007, 6 grant applications have been submitted (4 successfully funded, 1 Aus-China Special Fund, 1 PSRF and 2 ARC Linkages), over 30 (exclude Mike and Min Yan) manuscripts published and 14 conference papers produced.
- 2009, AWQC and RCCES were awarded a significant joint grant under a program entitled the 'Australia-China Special Fund for Science &Technology Cooperation: International Science Linkages" (ISL) to investigate the growth and development of cyanobacterial blooms in Australian and Chinese reservoirs. The project also included the University of Adelaide.
- 2009, Premiers Science Research Fund Project "Development of Materials Engineering Solutions for Treatment of Murray-Darling Basin Sourced Water Supplies". The project also included the University of South Australia and the Flinders University of South Australia.
- 2010, ARC LP100100481 "Development and Modelling of Advanced Coagulation and Oxidation Processes". The project also included the University of New South Wales and the University South Australia.
- 2010, ARC LP100100616 "Materials Engineering Solutions for Tomorrow's Water Resources". The project also included the University of South Australia and the Flinders University of South Australia
- W. Zhang, P. Xiao, Y. Liu, S. Xu, F. Xiao, D. Wang and C. Chow (in press) Understanding the impact of chemical conditioning with inorganic polymer flocculants on soluble extracellular polymeric substances in relation to the sludge dewaterability, Separation and Purification Technology
- R. Jiao, C. Chow, H. Xu, X. Ynag and D. Wang (in press), A Organic Removal Assessment at Full Scale Treatment Facilities Using Advanced Organic Characterization Tools, Environmental Science: Process and Impacts.
- M. Murshed, Z. Aslam, R. Lewis, C. Chow, D. Wang, M. Drikas, J. van Leeuwen (in press 2014) Changes in the quality of river water before, during and after a major flood event associated with a La Nina cycle and treatment for drinking purposes, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 26 (10),
- Z. Aslama, C.W.K Chow, F. Murshed, J.A. van Leeuwen, M. Drikas, D. Wang (2013), Variation in character and treatability of organics in river water: An assessment by HPAC and Alum coagulation. Separation and Purification Technology, 120 162-171.
- D.S. Wang, Y.M. Zhao, M.Q. Yan, C.W.K. Chow (2013) Removal Of DBP Precursors In Micro-Polluted Source Waters: A Comparative Study On The Enhanced Coagulation Behaviour. Separation and Purification Technology, 118 271-278.
- D. Wang, Y. Zhao, J. Xie, C.W.K. Chow, J. van Leeuwen (2013) Characterizing DOM and Removal by Enhanced Coagulation: A survey with typical Chinese source waters. Separation and Purification Technology, 110 (7) 188-195.
- D. Wang, J. Xie, C.W.K. Chow, L. Xing, J. van Leeuwen (2013) Characterization and Predicting DOM Treatability by Enhanced Coagulation, Water Science Technology –Water Supply, 13 (1),147-157.
- S. Hussain, J. van Leeuwen, C. Chow, S. Beecham, M. Kamruzzaman, D. Wang, M. Drikas, R. Aryal (2013) Removal of Organic Contaminants from River and Reservoir Waters by Three Different Aluminum-based Metal Salts: Coagulation Adsorption and Kinetics Studies, Chemical Engineering Journal, 225, 394-405.
- Z. Xu, R. Jiao, H. Liu, D. Wang, C.W.K. Chow, M. Drikas (2013) Hybrid Treatment Process of using MIEX and High Performance Composite Coagulant for DOM and Bromide Removal, Journal of Environmental Engineering 139(1) 79-85.
- Q. Wei, C. Yan, J. Liu, Z. Luo, Q. Xu, X. Zhang, C.W.K. Chow, M. N. Chong (2013) Multistep Microvolume Resin Fractionation Combined with 3D Fluorescence Spectroscopy for Improved DOM Characterization and Water Quality Monitoring, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 185, 3233-3241.
- M. Ng, A.E. Liana, S. Liu, M. Lim, C.W.K. Chow, D. Wang, M. Drikas, R. Amal (2012), Preparation and Characterisation of New-Polyaluminum Chloride-Chitosan Composite Coagulant, Water Research, 46 (15), 4614-4620.
- L. Xing, T. Lo, R. Fabris, C.W.K. Chow, J. van Leeuwen, M. Drikas, D. Wang (2012) Using Reverse Phase-High Performance Liquid Chromatography as Alternative to Resin Fractionation to Assess the Hydrophobicity of Natural Organic Matter, Wat Sci. Tech. 66 (11) 2402- 2409.
- Q. Wei, C. Yan, Z. Luo X. Zhang, Q. Xu, C.W.K. Chow (2012) Application of a New Combined Fractionation Technique (CFT) to Detect Fluorophores in Size-Fractionated Hydrophobic Acid of DOM as Indicators of Urban Pollution. Science of the Total Environment, 431, 293-298.
- B. Bazrafkan, Q. Wei, R. Fabris, C.W.K. Chow, J. van Leeuwen, D. Wang, M. Drikas (2012) Assessment of a New Combined Fractionation Technique for Characterization of the Natural Organic Matter in the Coagulation Process, Desalination and Water Treatment, 48, 252-260
- L. Xing, R. Fabris, C.W.K. Chow, J. van Leeuwen, M. Drikas, D. Wang(2012) Prediction of Dissolved Organic Matter Removal of Low Specific UV Absorbance Surface Waters Using High Performance Size Exclusion Chromatography Combined With Peak Fitting, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 24 (8) 1174-1180.
- M. Yan, D. Wang, J. Xie, C. Liu, J. Cheng, C.W.K. Chow, J. van Leeuwen (2012) Investigation of the Adsorption Characteristics of Natural Organic Matter from Typical Chinese Surface Waters onto Alumina Using Quartz Crystal Microbalance with Dissipation. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 215-216 115-121.
- L. Xing, M.F. Murshed, T. Lo, R. Fabris, C.W.K. Chow, J. van Leeuwen, M. Drikas, D. Wang (2012) Characterization of Organic Matter in Alum Treated Drinking Water Using High Performance Liquid Chromatography and Resin Fractionation, Chemical Engineering Journal, 192 186-191.
- J. Xie, D. Wang, J. van Leeuwen, Y. Zhao, L. Xing, C.W.K. Chow (2012) pH Modeling for Maximum DOM Removal by Enhanced Coagulation, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 24 (2) 276-283.
- Q. Wei, R. Fabris, C.W.K. Chow, C. Yan, D. Wang, M. Drikas (2011) Characterization of Dissolved Organic Matter from Australian and Chinese Source Waters by Combined Fractionation Techniques, Water Science & Technology 64 (1) 171-177.
- W. Liu, Y. Zhao, Y. Jiang, C. Chow, D Wang (2011) Disinfection By-product Formation in Typical Drinking Water Supplies in China. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23(6) 897-903.
- D. Wang, S. Wang C. Huang, C.W.K. Chow (2011) Hydrolyzed Al(III) Clusters: Speciation Stability of Nano-Al13, Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23(5) 705-710.
- D. Wang, R. Wu, Y. Jiang, C.W.K. Chow (2011) Characterization of floc structure and strength: Role of changing shear rates under various coagulation mechanisms. Colloid and Surface A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects 379 36-42.
- Y. Zhang, D. Wei, R. Huang, M. Yang, S. Zhang, X. Dou, D. Wang, V. Vimonses (2011) Binding mechanisms and QSAR modeling of aromatic pollutant biosorption on Penicillium oxalicum biomass. Chemical Engineering Journal, 166, 624-630.
- Z Liu, X Yan, M. Drikas, D. Zhou, D. Wang, M. Yang1, J. Qu (2011) Removal of bentazone from micro-polluted water using MIEX resin: Kinetics, equilibrium and mechanism. Journal of Environmental Sciences, 23 (3), 381-387.
- D. Wang, L. Xing, J. Xie, C.W.K. Chow, Z. Xu, Y. Zhao, M. Drikas (2010) Application of advanced characterization techniques to assess DOM treatability of micro-polluted and un-polluted drinking source waters in China, Chemosphere, 81(1) 2010 39-45.
- B. Zhao, D. Wang, T. Li, C.W.K. Chow, C. Huang (2010) Influence of Floc Structure on Coagulation-microfiltration Performance: Effect of Al Speciation Characteristics of PACls, Separation and Purification Technology 72 22-27.
- M. Yan, D. Wang, J. Ni, J. Qu, C.W.K. Chow, H. Liu (2008) Mechanism of Natural Organic Matter Removal by Polyaluminum Chloride: Effect of Coagulant Particulate Size and Hydrolysis Kinetics, Water Research 42 3361 - 3370.
- M. Yan, D.S. Wang, J. Ni, Y. Yan, C.W.K. Chow (2008) Effect of Polyaluminum Chloride on Enhanced Softening for the Typical Organic-polluted and High Hardness North-China Surface Waters, Separation and Purification Technology 62 401-406.
- M. Yan, D.S. Wang, J. Qu, J. Ni, C.W.K. Chow (2008) Enhanced Coagulation for High Alkalinity and Micro-Polluted Water: The Third Way through Coagulant Optimization, Water Research 42 (8-9) 2278-2286.
- M. Yan, D. Wang, J. Qu, W. He, C.W.K. Chow (2007) Relative importance of hydrolyzed Al(III) species (Ala, Alb and Alc) during coagulation with Polyaluminum Chloride: A case study with the typical micro-polluted source waters, Journal of Colloid and Interface Science 316(2) 482–489.
- C.W.K. Chow, R.B. Fabris, M. Drikas, Q. Wei, D. Wang (2007) Rapid Characterization Method and Its Application of DOM, Water Technology (Gongshui Jishu), Vol 1, No. 5, Serial No. 5, 1 - 5. ISSN 1673-9353. (Chinese Paper)