Our water quality treatment investigatory and advisory services will enable you to optimise drinking water quality, and evaluate the efficacy of proposed water treatment plants.
Our water treatment consultancy services include:
Water treatment plant process troubleshooting
- Evaluation and troubleshooting of existing water treatment plant processes on water treatment issues, such as chemical dosing points, filter optimisation and dealing with sudden water quality changes and seasonal variation.
Water treatment plant design evaluation
- Expert scientific evaluation of requirements for new or retro-fitted drinking water treatment plants including pilot scale evaluations, monitoring schemes and disinfection requirements.
Alternative treatment options
- Investigation of alternative and advanced treatment technologies including polymerised coagulants, MIEX®, activated carbon and membrane filtration for application to potable water treatment.
- For providing 'proof of concept' of proposed treatment process changes when a new treatment technology is being considered.
Activated carbon selection and optimisation
- Suitability testing of particular powdered or granular activated carbons (PAC, GAC) for specific water treatment issues or contaminant removal as well as surveys of available carbon products.
- Assessment of activated carbon supply tenders for removal of target contaminants in particular waters.
- Determination of optimum coagulant and coagulant aid doses for treatment of drinking water and wastewater sources by sedimentation or dissolved air flotation-filtration (DAFF). Used for removal of turbidity, colour, dissolved organic carbon (DOC) or algal cells and to determine idealised floc structure and improved filtration performance.
- Determining if your plant is operating at maximum efficiency or responding adequately to water quality changes. Identification of changes needed to meet water quality or contractual requirements.
Disinfectant demand and DBPs
- Determination of disinfectant demand, decay curves and simulated distribution system (SDS) testing for a range of disinfection processes including chlorination, chloramination, and ultra-violet (UV) irradiation.
- Disinfection by-products (DBPs) and DBP formation potential measurements can also be accommodated in isolation or combined with disinfection tests.
- Assessment of ozone demand and decay curves using laboratory scale batch and semi-batch contact experiments.
- Important for determination of required ozone dose for disinfection, pre-oxidation or polishing in a pre-existing potable or wastewater process or calculation of design capacity requirement for a new plant.
Water Quality characterisation
- Measurement of water quality parameters including colour, turbidity, UV absorbance, UV transmittance and dissolved organic carbon (DOC) concentration.
- Interpretation of results is also available from our experienced team of water quality scientists.
Natural Organic Matter (NOM) characterisation
- Organic matter characterisation in drinking water sources, treated waters and wastewaters. A variety of tests are available including analyses such as high performance size exclusion chromatography (HPSEC) for determining molecular weight distribution and rapid resin fractionation for humic and fulvic acid concentration and hydrophobicity.
- Allows operators to predict the applicability of coagulation to remove organics (DOC) and to predict the required chlorine demand. Enables better understanding of formation of disinfection by-products.
Point of use device and product evaluation
- Testing of point-of-use water purification devices for effectiveness and suitability as well as evaluation of water related products such as water conditioners and aquarium neutralisers.